Be Prepared! Diaper Bag Essentials for New Moms
When you become a mom for the first time you’re bombarded with information that you’re trying to absorb, yet you’re so focused on that new cuddly bundle of joy you’ve been presented with that it’s so easy to forget something.
When it comes to your first outings away from the house, one of the most important things you need to do is obviously pack your diaper bag, and forgetting something at this point will cause you major stress and upheaval whilst you’re out, making your hopeful, happy day away from the house an experience you don’t want to repeat for a while. The answer? Tick everything off this list and you’ll be good to go!
- Wipes – Basically wipes are your godsend, to be used for everything from minor spillages, cleaning up vomit, getting rid of stains on your own clothes, to changing nappies – don’t go anywhere without them!
- Diapers – A diaper bag should obviously contain nappies, the clue is in the name. To cover all bases, take a few extra than you’re anticipating, just in case.
- Changing pad – For sanitary conditions when changing nappies on the go, and added comfort for your little one.
- Plastic bags – Another godsend to be used for absolutely everything!
- Change of clothes – One change of clothes should suffice, but if your little one is having a particularly bad day, take two to be on the safe side.
- Blanket – If you’re walking, it’s easy for you to think it’s not that cold, but your baby will probably be a bit chilly, so keep a spare blanket rolled up in your bag.
- Sun-hat – A burnt head is a major no-no, so keep a sun-hat in your diaper bag at all times, even in winter.
- Bottles – To save time on the go, simply measure out formula into the bottles and ask for water at a restaurant or café on the go – less hassle and less to carry.
- Sun-cream – No need for an explanation on this one!
- Pacifiers – Pacifiers have a magical habit of going missing, so always keep a spare one in your diaper bag for those occasions when a tantrum is brewing, and to stop stress when you just can’t find the regular one he or she had a few minutes ago!
Consider your diaper bag as your magical bag of tricks, full of all the essential items you need for every eventuality during your outings away from the house.
Photo Credit: Sean Dreilinger